- Emotions in advertising work better than logic. This idea is based on discovery of the Nobel prize winner Daniel Kahneman that the human brain makes 95% of decisions instinctively, emotionally, quickly, and only 5% — logically and thoughtfully.
- You can measure the effectiveness of emotional digital campaigns in the same way as the usual ones, by analyzing the click-through rate of advertisements, as well as post-click metrics, that is, how users behave after hitting the landing page (bounce rate, time, conversions to targeted actions).
- If the user reacts emotionally to an ad, his interaction with the brand will be more active: the user will click on the ad 2 times more often, share content more often, recommend and make impulsive purchases.
Read also: Why do scary, touching or funny creatives get the highest CTR?
- Modern science identifies 27 basic emotions, but not every emotion equally affects users“ behaviour and makes them want to share a message. Top emotions that make content go viral include shock, laughter, pleasure, and joy.
- E-Contenta knows a lot of vivid campaign examples that were based on an emotional message. Consider headlines such as: "Can you go blind from laser eye surgery?" The click-through rate of such banners reached 2% or more. You can read more about these campaigns in our article "Why do scary, cute or funny creatives get the highest CTR?"
- An image in the banner ad is more important than the text. Here“s a win-win recommendation for choosing an image for an advertising creative: choose large photos of people and animals that are looking into the lens. You can learn more about this in our article "Image that sells".
- Whatever emotional message you want to send, it should be compact, clear and fast, since users decide whether they will click on an ad or not in 0.017 seconds.
- To conduct an advertising campaign, choose the current situation and emotion that corresponds to the values of your target audience. Keep in mind that emotions develop over time, just like people themselves. For example, nostalgia in the 17th century was recognized by doctors as a deadly emotion. Today a discharged phone can cause panic, and likes can bring joy and positive emotions for the whole day.
- Don't be afraid to use rare feelings and emotions as a basis of the campaign (e.g., basorexia - a sudden and very strong desire to kiss someone).
Read also: Image that sells: how to choose the picture for native ad
To learn more about the impact of emotions on the online advertising effectiveness, download the presentation or watch the video of Zoya's full talk at the Touch — Digital Summit 2020.
The 10-day Touch — Digital Summit 2020 was held from 20 to 29 November. It was attended by representatives of start-ups, innovation managers, marketers and technical specialists. The purpose of the summit is to inspire the community and share cutting-edge approaches to solving urgent problems related to digitalization, climate change, and remote work. 55 speakers from more than 20 countries of Central and Eastern Europe and the USA shared their knowledge and experience with the participants. Among the speakers were such companies as Singularity University, Deloitte, InVision, The Next Web, HubSpot, DeviantArt, Typeform, SalesForce, etc.